Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A piece of oral history I'm unfortunately not using in the show.

Gerald De’Cruz: Now I’d like to tell you a very interesting story that concerns Lee Kuan Yew. I’m not sure if I should tell it to you.

One day I received a phone call from Lee Kuan Yew, He said to me, Gerry, I want to see you tonight. It has to be a private meeting a very quiet meeting. Can you meet me at the 8th milestone, Upper Thompson Road? So I said, alright. You know at those times, Upper Thomson Road was a very sinister road. Full of secret societies and gangsters and all that a very dangerous road. But I went there 11 o’clock ant night, met at the 8th milestone and after a few minutes, Lee Kuan Yew turned up. We got into his car and drove off. We drove off into the MacRitchie reservoir.

We drove off into MacRitchie Reservoir and it was a very difficult place, full of trees and grass and all that. Natural reserve, but he seemed to know his way. He was quiet. I said, where are you going to? And he said, don’t worry, I recognise this place from this morning. And I’m going to a very quiet place where nobody will disturb us. I don’t want the Communists to know that I’m talking to you.



I remember telling him that if he would stop flirting with the Communists, or words to that effect, thing so would be much better between him and the rest of us. And he said, it’s alright Gerry, he said. Once I put all my cards on the table, everybody will understand. And I told him, don’t delay anymore. Because if you delay too long, people will grow to mistrust you. And whatever cards you show, they still won’t trust you. Or words to that effect.

And then we drove back. He dropped me in my car. And we drove off.

Yi-Sheng: Does anyone besides me find this unbelievably sexy?

No comments: